And is it a good thing? There are plenty of websites out there on just about any subject you can imagine! But when people visit your website what do they immediately think of you? Does it portray you as a professional who knows their subject? Does it break through the trust barrier? … or … does it make you look like an amateur? Does it inspire people to look for your competition?
While we do many reports for people that help them compare their business to their competition, evaluating not just the quantity of posts to social media but also the quality of their base of operations…their website! There are companies out there who don’t have a website but use social media instead…and that can work for some purposes, but unless you’re dedicated to daily updates and constantly being online this probably isn’t the best path for you!
There are many different paths you can choose and each one says something different about you and your business:
- Website Builders: These typically put a banner or ad box somewhere on your new site telling the world that you did it yourself. This is one of the first things people can see on your site that tell them that you didn’t think it was important enough to spend much money, time or effort…but the jokes on them, these sites can cost quite a bit monthly and don’t usually include much for SEO or help from someone who has done this before! These sites can end up costing you in the long run!
- WordPress Sites: These can be great professional sites…if they are done right! Just using the templates that come already installed with no plugins can be detrimental to your site. There are specific plugins for SEO, contact forms, image sliders, ecommerce and more! But you have to know what’s available for what you want it to do.
- Custom Sites: These can really be designed to be just what you want! While there is no limit to what CAN be done, this comes at a higher cost. In some cases it’s the only way you can go, but if you’re on a tight budget this may not be your best option.
But what type of website you do is just the first step in a long process, here are some other things to consider:
- SEO – Search Engine Optimization
- How the site is organized
We will have separate articles about each of these items over the next few months to talk about them in detail.